Lizard leather belongs to one of the high-quality, commonly used leathers such as crocodile or ostrich leather. They are often crafted in handmade leather goods such as bags, shoes, watch bands, wallets, etc. If you want to learn about the history and origin of this leather and how to choose lizard leather matching your favorite items, this is the article for you.
Dohale will refer to you in the most detail about the above contents through the following sections. Let’s refer to offline.
The Lizard Leather Origin
Lizard skin leather comes from many parts of the world, such as Malaysia, Thailand, and Indonesia. However, why should we use lizard leathers originating from European countries?
You may not know the earliest lizard skin leather was born in Indonesia and Malaysia. These two countries are still the leading countries regarding lizard leather origin in Southeast Asia.
But in terms of quality, many people will be more inclined to use Spanish lizard leather. Of course, the leather, when imported from this country, is costly. But the source is high quality.
Tanning technology, tanning chemicals, manufacturing processes, and thorough testing are top priorities for Spain. Because of this factor, the everyday use of Spanish leather is entirely reasonable.
Currently, there are many different types of lizard skin leather. But in summary, in terms of nature, they only fall into one of the three categories below.
- Smooth lizard leather: Its origin comes from Indonesia. They are familiar with the name ring lizard leather because of the small round colored patterns on the scales. The lizard’s scales resemble a square, tiny ring with large, rectangular scales along the abdomen.
- Teju lizard leather: Like ring lizard leather, their scales are square and rectangular along the abdomen if large. The unique thing about this leather type that makes it easier to distinguish from other leather types is the uneven color pattern. Color will vary by species.
- Nile lizard leather: found in Sudan. It is the one that is square and has a minor scale of three. However, the ventral scales on these leathers are usually larger and rectangular compared to the dorsal scales. Although their rankings are the smallest, their leather sheet size is the largest.
Regarding the dyeing mechanism, lizard skin leather is divided into 2 types, including bleached and unbleached.
- Bleaching: Remove scars and scratches on the leather to create uniformity. This method takes a long time to perfect, so the price tends to be more expensive than the unbleached type. Bleached grades are also into grades 1, 2, and 3 based on finishing.
- No bleaching: This means that the craftsman will preserve the wild look of the leather.
In the Cites category, Lizards are one of the animals that must be protected. Therefore, you need a sufficient Cites license if you want to export or import. You are committing illegal acts if you do not have enough documents but still export.
Size and appropriateness
With lizard skin leather, they come in different sizes from 24-47cm. Because Nile lizard skin leather is more significant than Ring lizard skin leather, they are often crafted into bags and belts.
Size is the determining factor in the product’s price. The larger the size, the higher the price.
As Dohale mentioned above, lizards are rare animals. So if the leather is large, they attack the giant and precious lizards. Therefore, its cost will be much more expensive.
The thickness of the leather ranges from 0.4-0.6mm. Because of its thin leather, craftsman often use it to make handmade items.
In addition, lizard skin leather is quite soft and easier to handle than stingray or crocodile leather because it has no calcium content. The thin leather makes it easier for an artisan to cut, shape, and customize.
They do not create difficulty for drilling tools. Besides these unique features, lizard skin leather is easy to bleach and stain.
The Benefits Of Using Lizard Watch Strap
Lizard leather looks like a crocodile’s, but it has no pattern. People choose to use lizard skin leather not only because of their luxurious style but also for several reasons. Read some lizard skin leather benefits below to learn about this type.
Lizard skin leather is smooth and highly flexible. They are the primary material for making leather shoes. Despite regular use, products made from lizard skin leather do not appear to have creases or wrinkles.
You do not need to worry about any problems related to shoe or bag damage because leather is exceptionally flexible. However, only a few people know about this. So, people who wear leather shoes usually stroll.
If you are a fan of exclusivity or customization, add some details.
Of course, owning or implementing these combined elements is a costly undertaking. But it will bring uniqueness to you. Other details, such as tassel laces and colorful soles (shoes), can be considered.
Simplicity and uniformity
The patterns appearing on the surface of the crocodile leather give it an attractive and attention-grabbing look. They are a perfect choice for those who love lots of details. But for those who like minimalism but still ensure durability and comfort when using, you can consider lizard leather.
Lizard leather has tiny scales and is not visible, so we do not feel confused and feel lighter. In particular, lizard leather is a better choice with products such as shoes, watch strap.
Tips To Maintain Lizard Watch Strap
Maintaining your lizard leather watch strap requires special care and attention to keep it in good condition. Here are some tips to help you keep your lizard watch strap looking its best:
- Clean the strap regularly: Use a soft, damp cloth to wipe down the strap regularly. It will remove any dirt, sweat, or oil accumulated on the surface.
- Avoid exposure to water: Lizard watch straps are not waterproof, so you should avoid getting them wet. If your belt does get wet, use a soft cloth to dry it off as soon as possible.
- Keep it away from heat: Lizard straps can become damaged if exposed to high heat. So, keeping them away from direct sunlight, hair dryers, and other heat sources is advisable.
- Store it properly: When you’re not wearing your watch, store it in a cool, dry place. Avoid storing it in direct sunlight or a humid environment, as this can damage the leather.
- Use leather conditioner: To keep the leather soft and supple, you can use a leather conditioner designed explicitly for lizard leather. Apply the conditioner with a soft cloth and let it dry completely before wearing the strap.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your lizard skin watch strap remains in excellent condition and lasts for many years to come.
In addition to the information above, some related questions from Dohale below will help you understand more about lizard leather.
Is lizard leather good?
Lizard leather is highly durable and flexible. Similar to other types, they are not only found in bags or strap bands but are also common in leather shoes. So this is quality leather and is worth your consideration.
Is lizard leather waterproof?
Lizard leather scales protect against bad weather and water resistance. Even small and large stains are not a problem for lizard leather.
How effective is lizard leather?
After all the crafting and drying are done, the lizard skin leather has the spray pad texture. While their scratch resistance is not as good as other types, it is durable and more effective in insulation than polymer or rubber pads.
Is lizard leather considered leather?
Reptile leather often makes expensive items such as handbags, leather shoes, watch bands, etc. In general, reptile leather is more difficult to process than mammal because of its elasticity. They are less.
Whether in the past or present, animal leather has always been a popular material for making certain accessories. Depending on the type of leather will have different textures, quality, and durability. Through this article, Dohale believes you have understood all about lizard leather. This is also your choice when looking for leather goods.