With its distinctive texture and outstanding durability, Epi leather is one of the most sought-after leathers used by many luxury fashion brands and consumers. Unlike standard skin types, Epi brings many attractive features, helping to enhance customers’ user experience.
DohaLe will further analyze its origin, production characteristics, and usage in this post. Besides, DohaPre will also provide some good tips for effective Epi care. Read on for more details.
What is Epi leather?
Epi leather is created by coating a base layer of polyurethane mixed with pigments to achieve the desired color for fashion products.
This coating makes Epi’s surface texture more complete and unique than conventional leather. On the other hand, it also provides perfect scratch and stain resistance to the product. From there, make your care and maintenance easier.
Two popular Epi skins love to use on many fashion items, the classic and electric Epi. The main difference between the two is their appearance.
With traditional versions, there is usually a smooth and matte look. Meanwhile, in electric Epi, their surface is quite glossy and smooth. It is also this feature that makes Epi electric become the leading choice of consumers.
The Epi Leather Origin
Epi leather was introduced and developed by the French fashion brand Louis Vuitton. In search of solutions for sustainable leather and better wear resistance, the brand’s designers had the bold idea of choosing Epi coating for most of their products.
At the beginning of implementation, this method could have been more practical. However, with the artisans’ utmost effort and talent, the brand successfully created the finished Epi coating for a unique texture.
The birth of Epi is an important milestone, marking the maturity and Louis Vuitton’s breakthrough in the market. It helps the brand claim top-quality leather with high durability and excellent abrasion resistance.
Epi leather is for most of the brand’s fashion collections today. With its distinctive embossed texture and high-quality surface finish, Epi is the preferred choice of many fashionistas worldwide. Owning items made from Epi leather will help you become more luxurious and attractive in the crowd.
Read more: How to buy stingray watch strap?
How Is Epi Leather Made?
Many users today are curious about the Epi production process. Most wonder about the materials used and how to make the surface special.
Epi leather is produced according to a closed process, including the following steps:
Step 1: Choose the right ingredients
The raw material used to make Epi leather is usually a high-grade cow. They are then subjected to harsh treatment to remove impurities and surface imperfections.
Step 2: Apply the coating
The treated leather will be with a polyurethane base layer and pigment. After coating, artisans press the leather with metal plates with the desired pattern.
From there, create the embossed pattern commonly found on all Louis Vuitton fashion products.
The artisans will continue to heat the leather and press it again to ensure the coating adheres better and the texture is beautiful. With this step, the skin surface achieves a higher level and is more resistant to harmful agents.
Step 3: Apply a protective layer
Finally, the leather is coated with a protective layer to prevent stains and seal the finished surface better.
Performed by skillful hands, this coating helps to bring a gentle, delicate shine to the overall product. Regarding the coating material, it can be plastic or solvent.
Pros And Cons Of Epi Leather
With any skin type, there will be pros and cons. And, of course, Epi is no exception. Here are some characteristics of Epi leather.
Epi leather is the first choice of many buyers on the market today. Compared with standard skin types, Epi is more special by possessing many impressive advantages:
- Unique embossed texture: Epi has an exceptional finish, hand-embossed with various desired surfaces. It helps to give a dramatic texture to the product’s appearance.
- High Abrasion Resistance: The Epi coating is highly resistant to abrasion, allowing the wearer to maintain a beautiful glossy appearance for a long time.
- Good scratch and stain resistance: Epi can also effectively resist scratches and stains. From there, it makes your cleaning and maintenance easier.
- Durability: Epi leather is the perfect choice for long-lasting durability. With a special coating, the leather is effectively resistant to harmful environmental influences to prolong product life.
- Good water resistance: Epi has a high-quality surface finish. If you accidentally wear them in the rain, rest assured because their leather material will not absorb water and cause damage to the items inside.
- Many colors and patterns: Depending on your usage requirements and personal preferences, you can order fashion products from Epi with the desired design and color.
Besides the above advantages, Epi also has many other disadvantages:
- Expensive: Compared to many traditional types of leather, Epi is many times more expensive. Therefore, you need to consider it carefully before choosing to use it!
- Harder to repair: Surface finishes and quality coatings make Epi more challenging. It will protect the product’s texture and render it valid if careful.
- Strict care requirements: Special attention should be paid to care and maintenance procedures to keep Epi skin in the best condition. For specifics, please read the following articles!
How To Recognize Epi Leather?
Fake Epi skin makes it more difficult for users to choose, especially for beginners. So we can recognize the natural Epi skin through what characteristics?
- Color test: Epi leather comes in a variety of colors. Their color is consistent and uniform throughout the product. If you come across Epi leather with patchy, uneven color, it’s not genuine Epi leather.
- Observe the skin’s surface texture: Embossed or grainy texture is a visual feature of Epi leather. If you observe a product that does not have this feature, you can be sure it is fake.
- Check the edges: Epi leather edges always have a particular finish, clean and not frayed. For products with uneven or frayed edges, it’s fake Epi leather.
- How you feel: Direct contact with the Epi skin surface. If it feels smooth and consistent, you buy the right quality product.
Instructions For Care And Cleaner Epi Leather
Here are some Epi skincare and maintenance tips you should refer to.
With its textured surface finish, cleaning the Epi is extremely easy. Use a little soap and a warm towel to remove dirt or long-standing plaque on the skin.
Then, gently wipe the areas to be cleaned. In less than 1 minute, you can easily remove dirt on your product.
Note, absolutely do not use chemicals or cleaning solvents on the surface of the leather. It will damage the texture of your leather surface and make the color of the bag look patchy and unsightly.
Take care of
Regular care is required to maintain a good Epi skin condition. It will include the following elements:
- Store in dry places: When not in use, you should store the product in a fantastic, dry location to maintain its unique texture and overall quality.
- Avoid direct sun exposure: Do not expose Epi skin to direct sunlight because it will cause color fading and poor aesthetics.
- Refrain from overfilling the bag: Do not overfill the Epi leather bag, as this will stretch and deform the product over time.
The specific sharing about the origin, characteristics, and preservation of Epi leather above will help you have the correct view of the quality of this unique leather. Read this article, and remember to leave feedback!
Thank you for reading!